There’s nothing like a hearty chilli on an English cloudy day to warm you up from within.
I love these one pot meals and I’m even more in love with than ever since Secret Santa got me this lovely Le Creuset pot for Christmas. *thank you!*
This is one of the first recipes I’ve done in it and it was so good I still dream of it.
Plus it makes use of the usually discarded squash seeds, transforming them into seed milk that you can use both for stews and chillis, but also for a quick pumpkin spice latte at home. Simply remove the seeds before you roast a whole squash or pumpkin and blend them as instructed below.
It also keeps well for a few days. Give it a go and it will soon become a staple in your household.
Lots of love,
SIMPLE BEANS AND CHICKPEAS CHILLI
2 medium onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 potatoes, chopped
4 squash slices (pre-roasted leftovers or fresh – if you’re roasting a fresh one, keep the seeds)
2 handfuls frozen green beans
4 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp chipotle
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp salt – or more to taste
1-2 green chillies* optional
125ml red wine* optional
300ml tomato passata
200ml water or squash seed milk(see below how to make in 1min)
250g cooked mixed beans (kidney, butterbean, etc)
150g cooked chickpeas
- In a little bit of water saute the chopped onions.
- Add the spices (Except salt. Leave the salt at the end)
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrot, squash and red wine(if you’re using any) and give it a stir. Simmer while you prep the squash seed milk (if you’re using squash in the recipe and you have the seeds. If not use water instead)
- Add the seeds from the squash to a blender, top up with 400ml water and blend on high for 1 minute. Strain through a sieve or nut milk bag. Add 200ml of the liquid to the pot, and save the rest for porridge or a spiced hot drink.
- Now add the tomato passata and beans + chickpeas and give it a stir. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans and top up with more liquid if needed. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper and chillies.