There’s nothing more comforting and easier to make than an apple, or any fruit for that matter, crumble served hot with a side of cream or ice cream. I love making either a sunflower seed vanilla cream for this or a berry sorbet. And so it was done. I’ve even managed to hide in there 2 courgettes! Shhhhh…that’s a secret, cause no one could tell. That gives it more liquid without needing to add any water or nut milk to the consistency. Yum!
PEAR, PLUM CRUMBLE WITH BERRY SORBET
Makes one large baking dish of crumble (8 slices)
FOR THE FRUIT FILLING
3 stalks rhubarb
FOR THE CRUMBLE
2 courgettes, peeled
200g gluten free flour (I used ground up quinoa and rice)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon psyllium
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cardamon pods
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
FOR THE SORBET
2 frozen bananas
1 large handful frozen berries
Add to a food processor or high speed blender and pulse/blend until it becomes a creamy icy texture.
1. Preheat the oven on 180C
2. Chop the fruit into medium cube sizes and sprinkle with cinnamon, giving it a good mix.
3. In a blender combine courgette, raisins, spices and blend until liquefied .
4. In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, and bananas mixing it in with your hands. Top up with the mix you’ve just blended and using a wooden spoon fold it in.
5. Layer a baking dish with coconut oil and add the fruit. Spread the mixture on top and poke it with a fork across the surface.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes checking it after 30 to make sure it’s not overcooking. Poke a toothpick through it and if it comes out clear it’s done.
Serve hot, with a dollop of berry sorbet.